The origins...

There have been veterinary surgeons listed as practising in Lewes, East Sussex, since 1795; however, the home of Cliffe Veterinary Group was confirmed at Radstock House, 21 Cliffe High Street when Robert Stock purchased the lease in 1889. 

Continuous transformation

Several veterinary surgeons worked at Radstock House following Robert Stock - Charles Radway, John Mumby, Mr Tingley, Major Stevens, Roy Turnbull and eventually in the 1950's John Teakle.   By the mid 1950's the Radstock House Practice had expanded to 5 vets.

The birth of Cliffe Veterinary Group


The following decades saw many changes, in staff, partners and practice name; and it wasn't until 1992, on the centenary of Radstock House's rebirth, that Cliffe Veterinary Group formed.  By this time Dick Rees and John Teakle retired, shortly followed by David Lang; leaving John Dayton, Mike Symons, Bill Pepper and newly appointed Andrew Browning as partners in 1995.   

Equine development

Through the following years, it was not just the partnership that developed, but the whole practice. The number of assistants grew and the practice was able to diversify into three clear disciplines: small animal, farm and equine.

The equine department developed at such a rate the need for facilities that could accommodate such work were in need. This journey started with a small surgical facility in Court farm, Offham in 1993, which later moved to a larger equine facility at the foot of the downs at Home Farm, Wilmington.  

Cliffe Equine

With Andrew Browning and Karl Holliman at the helm progress continued rapidly.  In spring 2003, the equine department moved from Wilmington to a purpose built clinic with full diagnostic and surgical facilities at Harbens Farm, establishing the Cliffe Equine brand as an equine specific unit within Cliffe Veterinary Group.

These facilities expanded further in 2011, and we now boast an array of facilities: indoor stabling for hospital and day patients with a dedicated isolation unit; indoor and outdoor schools and level trot up areas; surgical suite with two induction/recovery rooms; two large rubber matted examination rooms; private consultation rooms; and plenty of space for safe individual turnout in the 36 acre site. 

The new era

Innovation and change have brought about a regeneration. Andrew Browning retired in 2005 and tragically John Dayton died in 2008. In 2012 Cliffe Veterinary Group became a limited company and Egbert Willems became the second equine director in 2015. With a total of 8 equine vets, with numerous certifcates and a Diploma amongst them, Cliffe Equine Vets is continuously progressing and we are looking forward to our future.